Andrew Friedman, Vice President of S. L. Nusbaum, said, “We are proud to be the developer of Hampton Roads’ first LEED® certified high-rise. The Wells Fargo Center’s LEED® Gold Certification is an affirmation of our commitment to providing the best quality product to our tenants and our community”.
The Wells Fargo Center achieved LEED certification for energy use, lighting, water and material use, as well as incorporating a variety of other sustainable strategies. By using less energy and water, LEED certified buildings save money for families, businesses and taxpayers; reduce greenhouse gas emissions and contribute to a healthier environment for residents, workers and the larger community.
“Building operations are nearly 40% of the solution to the global climate change challenge”, said Rich Fedrizzi, President, CEO & Founding Chair, U.S. Green Building Council. “The work of innovative companies like S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co. is addressing it through local solutions.”
LEED certification of the Wells Fargo Center was based on a number of green design and construction features that positively impact the project itself and the broader community. These features include:
- Abundant natural light in 76% of regularly occupied space and 93% of the regularly occupied space has views to the outside.
- Energy efficient systems that decrease the building’s operating expenses.
- Water conserving fixtures provide a water savings of 43% and no permanent irrigation system on the exterior, as well as planters that contain native and adaptive drought tolerant plants, reduces potable water usage.
- Building materials are comprised of at least 29% recycled content with at least 50% of the materials being extracted, harvested, recovered or manufactured within 500 miles of the project site.
- Materials were conserved and diverted from landfill in the construction process with at least 75% of construction waste and debris being recycled.
The U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED green building certification system is the foremost program for the design, construction and operation of green buildings. For more information, visit: www.usgbc.org
With over 115 years of expertise in the real estate industry, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co. manages, develops and provides sales and leasing services for shopping centers, apartment communities, office, industrial and investment properties throughout the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast.